"Let's go to Sebastian Joe's"
A lot of our daily frustrations tend to get blamed on living in another culture. One thing that helps me to avoid complaining too much is to ask this question, "Have I ever had this problem in America?" The answer is usually always yes. Driving in Armenia is much more frustrating than in Minneapolis. Yet, I remember that while living in Arizona for three months last year, driving was a constant topic of peer to peer complaining sessions. The difference: here I can say, "Oh, it's just the way the culture is, we've got to adapt." I have never heard of anyone getting shot here for changing lanes in front of a contractor on his way to a barbecue. They do fight here, but that is the culture. They're Armenian; they have hot tempers.
Another frustration is the dust...well, Arizona once again.
The lack of city planning and the traffic jams....Arizona.
I'm not picking on Arizona...it is just a point. America has its frustrations as well...we can't blame everything on the culture.
Home (Minneapolis) is always remembered as paradise when we are frustrated. Sometimes I say to Liv, "Let's go to Luci (our favorite authentic Italian restaurant), then Sebastian Joe's for ice cream and coffee!" or, "Let's hit Caribou (best coffee) on the way to the airport!" Oh, for the convenience of America; that is not debatable. Oh, for Sebastian Joe's.
Another frustration is the dust...well, Arizona once again.
The lack of city planning and the traffic jams....Arizona.
I'm not picking on Arizona...it is just a point. America has its frustrations as well...we can't blame everything on the culture.
Home (Minneapolis) is always remembered as paradise when we are frustrated. Sometimes I say to Liv, "Let's go to Luci (our favorite authentic Italian restaurant), then Sebastian Joe's for ice cream and coffee!" or, "Let's hit Caribou (best coffee) on the way to the airport!" Oh, for the convenience of America; that is not debatable. Oh, for Sebastian Joe's.

3 Comments:
AMAN!
Oh!! Your killing me! Sebastian Joe's was a favorite spot in college, we go there with the kids now when in town. Figlios is our other favorite stop! We do the same comforting dialog. "Barnes and Noble?? Coffee at caribo?"
I say that and I live in Nashville. There is culture shock even from north to south I guess. It's nice to have good places to remember though in those moments :) Sebastian Joe's is definitely on the list!
Post a Comment
<< Home